New developments in the wondrous life of Emily Yarger:
1) I'm now planning on being an occupational therapist, just like my mom. For the past twelve years of my life I've been positive that this career would be the last possible thing I would ever consider. But, I feel like it's a great fit for my personality, my passions, and my strengths. If you don't know, occupational therapy basically revolves around the goal of improving the daily life of your patient. However, you accomplish this goal through the use of activities or "occupations", which actually simply look like play when done correctly. OT considers all aspects of their patients so I would have the opportunity to address physical, emotional, and mental health of my patients (wow, that sounds weird) instead of a few or just one. You can pretty much do this with any age group, but typically you either work with children, burn victims, people with disabilities, or the elderly. Obviously I love kids so that's where I would want to be. I haven't really decided if I would rather work with school-age children or kids under 3, like my mom. I'm more interested in the development of the latter group, but I really have a heart for little people (as in kids in school, not midgets). I could work in a school, for a company, or for myself. I like that. I pick my own schedule, and I choose how many patients I take on. I like that A LOT. There's all the planning, strategizing, and inventing of being a teacher while also bringing in the bank and under my wing rather than the government's. So basically I'm really content with this right now. I'll probably change my mind in a month but just be excited about it with me right now.
2)I'm not mad at my mom anymore. If you know me, you know my struggles with this for the past six years of my life. They've pretty much been the most traumatic part of my life up until now, actually. My mom has lupus, so she had to quit her job and pretty much her entire life too. She's always feeling crappy-fever, nausea, exhausted, all that jazz. It's really hard to watch your mom go from super active/engaged into this mess of sickness. I've held a lot of resentment against her; I pretty much convinced myself that lupus wasn't real and that she was faking it, at one point. It's so much easier to be angry than to accept God doing things in your life that you don't like. But, PRAISE GOD, I've had a bit of a wake-up call. We were assigned a concept essay in my English class and basically had to write about something we knew five pages about. The only thing I knew well was lupus, it's destruction, and how it affects everyone around it. Once I actually dug into lupus instead of being to upset and hurt to even accept it's reality, I figured out that it is much more awful than poor little me whose mom has to take naps to feel better. God completely changed my heart. This was all Him. I look forward to talking to my mom, and we actually are able to converse without fighting now. Sorry this is awful writing quality and choppy, but seriously this is a big deal if you know me at all. So BOOM!
I thought I had more updates than that but I really don't. ........ ......
I love Anderson University. I'm so blessed by the friends I've made. I'm expectant and pumped for my life.
Dueces.
Em I know this is a few weeks late but I'm so happy that God is helping you process everything! I love you and you know I'm here if you need me!!
ReplyDelete